This past weekend was (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend. It was hard to be thankful, and we sorta only uttered thanks that were more along the lines of "well, I'm thankful that at least --- didn't happen" or "well, at least no one died or anything.."
A few weeks ago, John and I (okay, just John) purchased a boat! He'd been scouring craigslist and other online ads for a few weeks. Fall is the time when people seem to trade up for bigger and better, and shedding their older and not-so-good in the process. We were more than happy to buy someone's castoffs! John bought a new trolling motor late in the season, since our old one got fried. That's when the idea of a boat hit him.
One day, he picked me up from work and said, "I have something to tell you, but you're not allowed to get mad." Does that preface EVER work?! It turns out that he'd made an appointment with some guy to see his boat, and the price was just so good that he'd agreed to buy it. It was a 16' aluminum boat with a 35 hp motor. Trailer and all, only $1500. I was actually pretty happy (and not mad at all!), and we picked up the boat a week later. We used it one weekend at the cottage and at Fitzroy Harbour, to great success. It had a livewell, so we could be just like the "cool" people on the fishing shows and put the fish right under the seat!
John had been tinkering with the boat at work (where he kept it), fixing it up, adding things like a pump and wiring and ropes and stuff, etc. We were really happy with our new boat and were looking forward to lots of fun fishing trips next summer.
John had promised his brother-in-law he'd take him and a friend fishing on Sunday morning. Early. Apparently the friend was convinced you could only catch fish between 7-10am, so John was to show up with the boat at 5am! At around 4, John had a bad dream that the boat had been stolen. He got up and went to work, and sure enough - it was gone. (What the heck kinda dream is THAT?! And why didn't it come with some lottery numbers?!) To answer inevitable questions, the trailer was locked (with a special pin lock), and it was kept in a hidden area and was not able to be seen from the road.
So our Thanksgiving mood was considerably sulky. Sunday morning was spent taking pictures of the tire tracks (in case one day someone can CSI our pictures and find the jerk that did this), making police reports, and all that good stuff that comes when someone steals from you. Since it was new (to us) we have very little of anything from it. We don't have a picture of it, we didn't know of anything identifiable, or anything like that. We're not very hopeful that we will ever see it again.
So, in an effort to keep up the "thanksgiving" cheer, here is a list of some things that I am still thankful for.
I'm thankful that we all still have our health and wellness.
I'm thankful that at least it wasn't John's car. We're more attached to that than the boat (but on the other hand, we could've made a decent insurance claim on it).
I'm thankful that nothing else was taken (I think our boat was specifically targetted).
As I sit and wallow in the futility of holding onto hope that our boat will ever be recovered, I smile when I remember my sister's words. "Maybe God will smote him. God can do that, y'know."
A few weeks ago, John and I (okay, just John) purchased a boat! He'd been scouring craigslist and other online ads for a few weeks. Fall is the time when people seem to trade up for bigger and better, and shedding their older and not-so-good in the process. We were more than happy to buy someone's castoffs! John bought a new trolling motor late in the season, since our old one got fried. That's when the idea of a boat hit him.
One day, he picked me up from work and said, "I have something to tell you, but you're not allowed to get mad." Does that preface EVER work?! It turns out that he'd made an appointment with some guy to see his boat, and the price was just so good that he'd agreed to buy it. It was a 16' aluminum boat with a 35 hp motor. Trailer and all, only $1500. I was actually pretty happy (and not mad at all!), and we picked up the boat a week later. We used it one weekend at the cottage and at Fitzroy Harbour, to great success. It had a livewell, so we could be just like the "cool" people on the fishing shows and put the fish right under the seat!
John had been tinkering with the boat at work (where he kept it), fixing it up, adding things like a pump and wiring and ropes and stuff, etc. We were really happy with our new boat and were looking forward to lots of fun fishing trips next summer.
John had promised his brother-in-law he'd take him and a friend fishing on Sunday morning. Early. Apparently the friend was convinced you could only catch fish between 7-10am, so John was to show up with the boat at 5am! At around 4, John had a bad dream that the boat had been stolen. He got up and went to work, and sure enough - it was gone. (What the heck kinda dream is THAT?! And why didn't it come with some lottery numbers?!) To answer inevitable questions, the trailer was locked (with a special pin lock), and it was kept in a hidden area and was not able to be seen from the road.
So our Thanksgiving mood was considerably sulky. Sunday morning was spent taking pictures of the tire tracks (in case one day someone can CSI our pictures and find the jerk that did this), making police reports, and all that good stuff that comes when someone steals from you. Since it was new (to us) we have very little of anything from it. We don't have a picture of it, we didn't know of anything identifiable, or anything like that. We're not very hopeful that we will ever see it again.
So, in an effort to keep up the "thanksgiving" cheer, here is a list of some things that I am still thankful for.
I'm thankful that we all still have our health and wellness.
I'm thankful that at least it wasn't John's car. We're more attached to that than the boat (but on the other hand, we could've made a decent insurance claim on it).
I'm thankful that nothing else was taken (I think our boat was specifically targetted).
As I sit and wallow in the futility of holding onto hope that our boat will ever be recovered, I smile when I remember my sister's words. "Maybe God will smote him. God can do that, y'know."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home