Time for an update. Our awful month has, for the most part, been resolved. My former supervisor says that my residency status (whatever the heck it actually is) shouldn't interfere with either returning to Japan or my pension refund. Well, that's that. Not only can I return to Japan, I can also get the back the money they owe me. I'm not sure I want to return anyway, since Japan has recently implemented this somewhat xenophobic policy. If it's one country that's subtley unfriendly to foreigners... Perhaps I will blog about that at in a later post.
Not only that, but I was ecstatic the day John came home from work and said that our boat was back. OUR boat. Our exact boat. It "showed up" back at work one day, and that's all I can say about it. We're very happy to have it back, and look forward to many years of fantastic fishing trips. It is now spending its nights IN the garage, so that it won't be stolen again.
Work is work. It's slowly grating on my nerves, because if it's another country with slightly xenophobic tendancies, it's the "Middle Kingdom" (so named because, they, like Toronto, thought they were the centre of the universe). Where are 99.5% of my students from? Noo...not Toronto... My night class is not so bad because most of them know me and are familiar with me now. My morning class, on the other hand, still has yet to grasp how I am both Canadian and Chinese - in their eyes, I'm white and don't know anything at all about anything Chinese. Rather insulting, really.
Luckily for me, I will have a vacation soon. Not only does Remembrance Day fall on a Sunday (which means Monday off!), but I will also be going to a conference in Toronto at the end of the month. I will be leaving Thursday morning, which means I don't have to teach my Friday class. Not only will that class simply be cancelled, but I will also be paid for it, woohoo! After that, it is only about 3 weeks until Christmas vacation!
Unfortunately, I've been told that classes will be reviewed for funding come January. My morning class is short on registered attendees, and is slated for the chopping block. Oh well, it'll give me time to sort out my future, perhaps. I could take French classes and try to get up to B-levels, which would qualify me for a gov't job. I could decide whether to take my MA. The best option, of course, is to continue to live like a trophy wife and just shop all day while John works. As we've decided, his money is my money and my money is my money! :)
Not only that, but I was ecstatic the day John came home from work and said that our boat was back. OUR boat. Our exact boat. It "showed up" back at work one day, and that's all I can say about it. We're very happy to have it back, and look forward to many years of fantastic fishing trips. It is now spending its nights IN the garage, so that it won't be stolen again.
Work is work. It's slowly grating on my nerves, because if it's another country with slightly xenophobic tendancies, it's the "Middle Kingdom" (so named because, they, like Toronto, thought they were the centre of the universe). Where are 99.5% of my students from? Noo...not Toronto... My night class is not so bad because most of them know me and are familiar with me now. My morning class, on the other hand, still has yet to grasp how I am both Canadian and Chinese - in their eyes, I'm white and don't know anything at all about anything Chinese. Rather insulting, really.
Luckily for me, I will have a vacation soon. Not only does Remembrance Day fall on a Sunday (which means Monday off!), but I will also be going to a conference in Toronto at the end of the month. I will be leaving Thursday morning, which means I don't have to teach my Friday class. Not only will that class simply be cancelled, but I will also be paid for it, woohoo! After that, it is only about 3 weeks until Christmas vacation!
Unfortunately, I've been told that classes will be reviewed for funding come January. My morning class is short on registered attendees, and is slated for the chopping block. Oh well, it'll give me time to sort out my future, perhaps. I could take French classes and try to get up to B-levels, which would qualify me for a gov't job. I could decide whether to take my MA. The best option, of course, is to continue to live like a trophy wife and just shop all day while John works. As we've decided, his money is my money and my money is my money! :)

1 Comments:
At November 6, 2007 at 7:28 PM,
Phill said…
Hey, that's great news about your boat! So is there any more of a story as to why it suddenly just came back? Did the police have anything to do with it, or did the person who took it, just borrowed it?
Post a Comment
<< Home